Date(s) - 05/02/2022
Beginner Program – Feb 2022
The River Canoe Club Beginners Program is on again in 2022.
The Beginners Program is a club initiative structured over three days, the program is intended to provide an opportunity for new club members to learn some paddling skills, safety awareness and rescue techniques to give you the skills and confidence to paddle on RCC trips.
River Canoe Club is a club so the people are just as important as the paddling, the Beginner’s Program will also give you the opportunity to meet other members starting their journey with the club as well as some of the more experienced club members to help you on your way.
The Beginner’s Program kicks off on Saturday 5th Feb at the Club House for an introduction to kayaks and the associated equipment, paddling posture, how to safely enter and exit a boat followed by a paddle on the Cooks River. Day 2 will be at a location in the southern suburbs of Sydney, where we will work on more paddle strokes and rescue techniques. Day 3 will be an all-day flat water river trip over about 15km where we will put what we have learnt into practice. The beginners program is usually a very popular, to accommodate the numbers we will hold a morning and afternoon session on Days 1 and Day 2 and two separate all day sessions for Day 3A and Day 3B
Day 1 – Saturday 5th February AM or PM Sessions – Introduction to the Club and Equipment
Day 2 – Sunday 6th February AM or PM Sessions – Paddling Skills and Rescue Techniques
Day 3A – Saturday 19th February – Adventure Paddle
Day 3B – Sunday 20th February – Adventure Paddle
How to sign up:
Follow the link below to Eventbrite, Entries will open Wednesday 12th January 2022
- Make sure your club membership is current, you must be a full club member to be eligible for the beginners program (trial membership is not sufficient).
- Indicate if you wish to use the club equipment or can bring your own kayaking equipment, not this must be a “sit in” kayak, with the capacity to fit a spray skirt, paddle and Life Jacket.
- Choose either Group A or Group B
- Group A will be the Morning Sessions on Day 1 and Day 2 and the 19th for Day 3
- Group B will be the Afternoon Sessions on Day 1 and Day 2 and the 19th for Day 3
- If you have not done so already make sure your membership is current, if your membership is not current and you have signed up for the Beginner Program your registration for the program will be removed.
- Once you are signed up more details will be provided in the week prior to the event for meeting times and locations.