Date(s) - 13/02/2021 - 14/02/2021
River Canoe Club – Murrumbidgee River
68km over 2 days and 2 nights (Murrumbidgee Canoe Trail)
What: River Journey 68km of Moving Water over 2 days and 2 nights
The Jugiong to Gundagai section of the river is one of the classic trips on the Murrumbidgee. The river at the right level follows a narrow channel providing an exciting but not unsafe flow. For paddlers who have not paddled 40kms before, you will find the kms falls away quickly. Distance on Saturday will be 40kms with 28kms on Sunday. Travelling down on Friday night is well worth it, for breakfast at the Long Track Pantry.
This trip is is aimed as an introduction to expeditionary kayaking – to help members make the transition from the Cooks River to the big M rivers – Macquarie, Murray, Murrumbidgee. Club members are actively pursuing aspirational trips down the Murray, Murrumbidgee and Darling Rivers in 2021, and we encourage all club members to join us.
This trip combines the essential three elements of expeditionary kayaking – a road trip, a camping trip and a kayaking trip.
- In regards to the road trip – Participants will be responsible for transporting their kayaks. Participants using club kayaks will need to arrange hiring through the committee.
- In regards to the kayaking trip – Participants will need a plastic sea kayak (4m minimum), skirt, spare paddle as a minimum. Fibreglass or fragile kayaks are not appropriate on this section of the river. Paddlers will need to be able to wet exit and be competent in handling a kayak. If unknown to the leader, participants will need to have an experienced club member vouch for their paddling ability. There will be a Murray Descent training day on the preceding Sunday, and aspiring participants should attend this event.
- In regards to the camping trip – Participants will need to be completely self sufficient for 24 hours including camping, food, alcohol and safety – with all equipment secured within their kayak bulkheads.
- Friday evening – drive to Jugiong 3.25 hours (optional)
- Saturday morning – car shuttle 90 min
- Car shuttle begins at 8am
- Depart 10am from Jugiong
- Arrive 3pm at Sandy Falls
- Sunday 7am depart Sandy Falls
- Arrive 10 am at Gundagai
- Drive back to Sydney 3.45 pm
This trip is dependent upon sufficient water levels and Covid safety. Participation is only through the consent of the trip leader.
When: Friday 12th to Sunday 14th February 2021
Where: Jugiong to Gundagai
Members – Standard Club Gear Usage Fees apply ($50)
Note you will need to be a member of River Canoe Club to take part in this event.
Expressions of interest email: firstname.lastname@example.org