Date(s) - 25/02/2023 - 26/02/2023
The River Canoe Club Beginners Program is on again in 2023.
The Beginners Program is a club initiative structured over three days, the program is intended to provide an opportunity for new club members to learn some paddling skills, safety awareness and rescue techniques to give you the skills and confidence to paddle on RCC trips.
River Canoe Club is a club so the people are just as important as the paddling, the Beginner’s Program will also give you the opportunity to meet other members starting their journey with the club as well as some of the more experienced club members to help you on your way.
The Beginner’s Program kicks off on Saturday 25th Feb at the Club House for an introduction to kayaks and the associated equipment, paddling posture, how to safely enter and exit a boat followed by a paddle on the Cooks River. Day 2 will be at a location in the southern suburbs of Sydney, where we will work on more paddle strokes and rescue techniques. Day 3 will be an all-day flat water river trip over about 15km where we will put what we have learnt into practise. The beginners program is usually a very popular, to accommodate the numbers we will hold a morning (Group A) and afternoon (Group B) session on Days 1 and Day 2 and two separate all day sessions for Day 3A and Day 3B
Day 1 – Saturday 25th February AM and PM Sessions – Introduction to the Club and Equipment
Day 2 – Sunday 26th February AM and PM Sessions – Paddling Skills and Rescue Techniques
Day 3A – Saturday 18th March – Adventure Paddle
Day 3B – Sunday 19th March – Adventure Paddle
How to sign up:
Entries will open Monday 16th January 2023 Midday
- Step 1 – Make sure you club membership is current you must be a full club member to be eligible for the beginners program (trial membership is not sufficient). Follow link to join River Canoe Club (https://rivercanoeclub.org.au/club/join/)
- Step 2 – Indicate if you wish to use:
- club equipment or
- your own kayaking equipment, note this must be a “sit in” kayak, with the capacity to fit a spray skirt, please also bring your paddle and Life Jacket.
- Step 3 – Choose either Group A or Group B
- Group A will be the Morning Sessions on Day 1 (25th Feb) and Day 2 (26th Feb) and the 18th March for Day 3
- Group B will be the Afternoon Sessions on Day 1 and Day 2 and the 19th March for Day 3
- Step 4 – Sign up for the Beginners Program using Eventbrite:
- If you have got this far and not done so already make sure your membership is current, if your membership is not current and you have signed up for the Beginner Program your registration for the program will be removed and the space made available to other members.
- Once you are signed up more details will be provided in the week prior to the event for meeting times and locations.